Inboard Propeller Installation Instructions
Inboard Propeller Installation Process (Provided by Michigan Wheel)
1. Push propeller snugly onto shaft taper WITHOUT key in either keyway (propeller or shaft).
2. Make sure the propeller is snug and there is no side to side movement by gently moving the propeller back and forth.
3. Make a line on the shaft with a non-graphite marker at the forward end of the propeller where it stops up against the shaft taper.
4. Remove propeller.
5. Put key into keyway on shaft taper with radiused or chamfered corners (down) in shaft keyway. (If propeller shaft keyway has radiused corners.)
6. Put propeller back onto shaft taper.
7. Check to see that the propeller moves back to the forward line made in Step 3. If it does, skip to Step 8. It it does not, perform the following:
a. Remove propeller from shaft.
b. Place a file on a flat surface area or work bench.
c. Run opposite end of chamfered key back and forth over file (to remove any burrs) with a downward pressure on key until side being filed is clean.
d. Install cleaned key in shaft keyway with chamfered corner side down in the shaft (the cleaned, filed side up in keyway).
e. Replace the propeller on the shaft and fit snugly on taper. Check to see if it reaches the line made as in Step 7. If it does not line up, repeat steps 7a through 7e.
Note: A vise can be used to hold key and then filed, but care must be taken not to tighten too much, causing burrs and irregularities on key.
8. When propeller hub moves to the correct position, install propeller nut on shaft and torque to seat the propeller. Install the torque jam nut also, if your shaft is so equipped.
9. Install cotter pin at the end of the shaft.
If you have any questions, please email us or call 425-353-0436